    SubjectRe: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

    On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:20 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Ian Campbell wrote:
    > >
    > > What would be the preferred way of allowing bootloaders/domain builders
    > > to find the compressed payload? Tacking the offset from the end onto the
    > > end as I have done for the moment seems pretty skanky...
    > >

    > As Jeremy already mentioned, putting a pointer to the compressed ELF
    > image in the bzImage header (and bumping the version number to 2.08) is
    > the right way to go about it. The compression format (for now, always
    > gzip) can then be identified in the usual way via compression format
    > magic number.
    >
    > As I've previously expressed, I'm much happier with this approach than
    > having the compressor portion itself be an ELF image, so I'm happy to
    > see this patch. However, I think it needs to ride a cycle in -mm, so
    > although I didn't see any problems from a cursory look I might not get a
    > chance to do a detailed review until the merge window is over.

    That's good enough for me -- I shall press on...

    Cheers,
    Ian.

    --
    Ian Campbell

    Pascal:
    A programming language named after a man who would turn over
    in his grave if he knew about it.
    -- Datamation, January 15, 1984

      Last update: 2008-01-29 10:35    [W:0.030 / U:59.768 seconds]