SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:44:27PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 00:57 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 04:22:45PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > It have come to my attention that a patch has been committed to the
> > > kernel with the explicit purpose of tainting ndiswrapper - the kernel
> > > module allowing Windows NDIS drivers for Ethernet and Wireless cards to
> > > be used by the kernel.
> > > Just to reiterate some points from the old discussion:
> > > - no copyright violation is involved, as Windows drivers are not derived
> > > from Linux sources
> >
> > It is interesting that someone posting with an @gnu.org address claims
> > that dynamic linking of not GPLv2 compatible code into GPLv2 code was
> > not a copyright violation.
>
> No, I'm representing myself only. I don't think you represent all
> kernel developers when posting from the kernel.org address.

I'm not using my @kernel.org address except for kernel issues and I'm
not using a company address in linux-kernel discussions.

Mailing lists of a project or a company are something completely
different from using a project or company address outside of the
project.

> I'm actually surprised that you are raising this issue. If the
> motivation to ban ndiswrapper is based on the copyright law, doesn't it
> meant that we have DRM in the kernel now? Is Linux going to enforce
> copyright laws across the world?
>
> > Is it an official statement of the FSF that such linking is considered
> > legal?
>
> Absolutely not.
>
> > (RMS added to Cc)
>
> I, for one, would welcome an informed position of the FSF. It may have
> interesting implications for Wine, ReactOS, mplayer, qemu, Java and many
> other programs loading non-free compiled code at the run time.

Wine is licenced under the terms of the LGPL.

ReactOS is licenced under the terms of the GPL with a licence
exception for runtime linking of non-free modules.

QEMU is licenced under the terms of the GPL with a licence exception for
runtime linking with libqemu.a.

GNU classpath (and libgcj) are licenced under the terms of the GPL with
a licence exception for runtime linking with it.

As you can see, all of the above explicitely address this issue.

The only program from your list that has a fishy licencing is mplayer.

> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-01-30 01:27    [W:0.325 / U:0.028 seconds]