SubjectRe: [patch 2/6] mmu_notifier: Callbacks to invalidate address ranges
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:00:39AM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > get_user_pages, regular linux writes don't fault unless it's
> > explicitly writeprotect, which is mandatory in a few archs, x86 not).
>
> actually get_user_pages doesn't fault either but it calls into
> set_page_dirty, however get_user_pages (unlike a userland-write) at
> least requires mmap_sem in read mode and the PT lock as serialization,
> userland writes don't, they just go ahead and mark the pte in hardware
> w/o faults. Anyway anonymous memory these days always mapped with
> dirty bit set regardless, even for read-faults, after Nick finally
> rightfully cleaned up the zero-page trick.

That is only partially true. pte are created wronly in order to track
dirty state these days. The first write will lead to a fault that switches
the pte to writable. When the page undergoes writeback the page again
becomes write protected. Thus our need to effectively deal with
page_mkclean.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans