    SubjectRe: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24
    On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
    >> That could stand to be moved or renamed, it is well buried in the menu for
    >> the REAL scsi stuffs, which I don't have any of.
    >
    >Yes you do - USB storage and ATAPI are SCSI

    By the linux software definition maybe. But I've defined scsi as that which
    uses a 50 wire cable using 50 contact centronics connectors since the
    mid '70's, and which often needs a ready supply of nubile virgins to
    sacrifice to make it work, particularly with the old resistor pack
    terminations & psu's whose 5 volt line is only 4.85 volts due to old age.
    That's what I call REAL scsi. Its also a REAL PITA if the terms aren't
    active.

    You can call what you are doing 'scsi' because you are using much the same
    command structure, and that is good, but its not the real thing with all its
    hardware warts and/or capabilities. For one thing, this version usually
    works. :)

    Furinstance, you can tell 2 scsi devices on the same controller to talk to
    each other, moving files from one to the other, and the host controller can
    then goto sleep & the cpu isn't involved until the devices send it a wakeup
    to advise the controller that the transfer has been done, and the controller
    may or may not then interrupt and advise the cpu. You can do that with
    separate controllers too as long as they have a compatible DMA channel
    available to both.

    I doubt libata has that capability now, or ever will, cuz these ide/atapi
    devices are generally dumber than rocks about that. But any device claiming
    to be scsi-II is supposed to be able to do those sorts of things while the
    cpu is off crunching numbers for BOINC or whatever.

    But that puts my mild objections to classifying this as 'scsi' in a more
    understandable context. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2008-01-29 23:45    [W:4.223 / U:0.124 seconds]