    SubjectRe: [Xen-devel] dm-band: The I/O bandwidth controller: Performance Report

    Ryo Tsuruta wrote:
    > The results of bandwidth control test on band-groups.
    > The configurations of the test #3:
    > o Prepare three partitions sdb5 and sdb6.
    > o Create two extra band-groups on sdb5, the first is of user1 and the
    > second is of user2.
    > o Give weights of 40, 20, 10 and 10 to the user1 band-group, the user2
    > band-group, the default group of sdb5 and sdb6 respectively.
    > o Run 128 processes issuing random read/write direct I/O with 4KB data
    > on each device at the same time.

    you mean that you run 128 processes on each user-device pairs? Namely,
    I guess that

    user1: 128 processes on sdb5,
    user2: 128 processes on sdb5,
    another: 128 processes on sdb5,
    user2: 128 processes on sdb6.

    > Conclusions and future works
    > ============================
    > Dm-band works well with random I/Os. I have a plan on running some tests
    > using various real applications such as databases or file servers.
    > If you have any other good idea to test dm-band, please let me know.

    The second preliminary studies might be:

    - What if you use a different I/O size on each device (or device-user pair)?
    - What if you use a different number of processes on each device (or
    device-user pair)?

    And my impression is that it's natural dm-band is in device-mapper,
    separated from I/O scheduler. Because bandwidth control and I/O
    scheduling are two different things, it may be simpler that they are
    implemented in different layers.