    SubjectRe: [git pull] Fix recent Ocfs2 breakage
    On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:08:04PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Joel Becker (1):
    > > ocfs2: Fix userspace ABI breakage in sysfs
    >
    > This is fine with me, for now.

    Great, thanks.

    > > From: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@oracle.com>
    > >
    > > ocfs2: Fix userspace ABI breakage in sysfs
    > >
    > > The userspace ABI of ocfs2's internal cluster stack (o2cb) was broken by
    > > commit c60b71787982cefcf9fa09aa281fa8c4c685d557 "kset: convert ocfs2 to
    > > use kset_create". Specifically, the '/sys/o2cb' kset was moved to
    > > '/sys/fs/o2cb'. This breaks all ocfs2 tools and renders the
    > > filesystem unmountable.
    > >
    > > This fix moves '/sys/o2cb' back where it belongs.
    >
    > "belongs" is pretty odd here. This is a filesystem specific thing,
    > right? Why not put it in /sys/fs/ then?

    We had it there before /sys/fs and as has been noted, it's ABI so we can't
    change it right away. In theory, it's actually outside the fs, but in
    reality it's pretty tied to Ocfs2, so I have no objection to the idea of it
    being eventually moved there.

    > And yes, I understand about legacy userspace tools, that's why I have no
    > objection to it going back. But you can put it in both places (with a
    > symlink) and change your userspace code, and in a year or so, drop the
    > symlink, right?

    Yeah, that sounds entirely reasonable. It shouldn't be too hard for us to
    fix up ocfs2-tools to look in both places. So long as there's enough lead
    time for users to upgrade their toolchain (we can do releases for all
    branches of ocfs2-tools, make annoucements on lists, etc), I think the
    impact shouldn't be too bad.

    > And please please please please document stuff like this, and all of the
    > different files you have in this subdirectory in Documentation/ABI/ so
    > those of us who are trying to figure out the code (and there's still
    > parts of the kobject usage I'm pretty sure is not correct) can have a
    > chance to understand exactly how this stuff is being used and expected
    > to work.

    No problem. I'll get us some patches to symlink things, and add docs in
    Documentation/ABI/ explaining how Ocfs2 and userspace communicate. In the
    future, as we add ABI it'll be documented there.
    --Mark

    --
    Mark Fasheh
    Principal Software Developer, Oracle

      Last update: 2008-01-29 07:03    [W:0.047 / U:29.592 seconds]