SubjectRe: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24
On Monday 28 January 2008, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >well, here on Mandriva I
>> >
>> >1) compile both IDE and libata as modules
>> >2) create initrd that contains either IDE or libata modules
>> >3) use labels for file system mounts, swaps and resume device.
>> >

>> >Now 1) should be pretty straightforward (I could send you config if you
>> >like, it is stripped down to bare minimum on my system, you will have to
>> >check drivers for your hardware). 2 and 3 are obviously distribution
>> >dependent. I can explain how to do it on Mandriva that ATM has near to
>> >perfect support for addressing devices via label/UUID; also ide/scsi/ata
>> >switch is trivial using Mandriva mkinitrd.
>>
>> I already build as modules, and it would be relatively easy to make 2 boot
>> stanza's that used the different initrd's if there were examples that
>> could be used as 'excludes' when building the initrd's. Is such a
>> creature breedable?
>
>I am not sure I understand a question (it is not my native language) but
> here I simply do
>
>mkinitrd --omit-ide-modules --preload pata_ali --preload sd_mod ...
>
>or
>
>mkinitrd --omit-scsi-modules --preload alim15x3 --preload ide-disk ...

This looks doable, thanks. I was trying to be cute above when I'm rather
frustrated by all this. I might have to fiddle a bit but I got the idea.

OTOH, I and about 15,000 others according to google, would be everlastingly
gratefull if it was just fixed. :)

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2008-01-28 20:39    [W:2.993 / U:0.956 seconds]