SubjectRe: [rfc] exposing MMR's of on-chip peripherals for debugging purposes
On Jan 28, 2008 8:04 AM, richard kennedy <richard@rsk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >> The main reason I am not willing to submit this to mainline is the file
> >> size. It's almost the biggest file in the kernel source. And it will be
> >> bigger and bigger when more and more new Blackfin processors supported
> >> by Linux kernel.
> >
> > a quick check of current git shows it is significantly larger than any other ;)
> >
> >> My suggestion is:
> >> Or more deeper thought:
> >> - we don't need all the MMR setup at the same time for debugging. for example, maybe for some developer, he/she only needs one driver MMR for debugging such as watchdog/usb/spi/i2c ....
> >
> > splitting things up doesnt really address the original issue: there's
> > a lot of info here to be kept in the kernel
> >
> >> - How about split the debug MMR table to each drivers or processors?
> >> - watchdog driver implements a debug FS interface for debugging watchdog MMR and other drivers implement their own things.
> >
> > this had been mentioned before as a possibility but shot down. you do
> > not want to tie the creation of these debug files to anything as the
> > prevents independent development of any other drivers/application that
> > use the same peripheral.
>
> there is a lot of duplication in your file, but you could slim it down a
> bit if thats the only objection.

i imagine there's a ton of duplication ... the file is auto-generated
from XML files, so i could take a look at the autogeneration producing
unified code.

> so you could have a simple function to create all the COUNTER elements
> from a given base address, then each variant only needs call that saving
> you lots of LOC.

also a possibility ... just have to be wary of the parts that have
slightly different peripherals (like the UART).
-mike

  Last update: 2008-01-28 14:13    [W:0.127 / U:0.028 seconds]