    SubjectRe: Hot (un)plugging of a SATA drive with sata_nv (CK8S) ?
    Ignacy Gawedzki wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm having trouble to determine the cause of the following behavior. I'm not
    > even sure that I'm supposed to hot plug and unplug a SATA drive from a nForce3
    > Ultra (apparently CK8S, on a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 mobo) SATA interface, to
    > begin with. The information is hard to find given that the sata_nv driver
    > supports a range of different hardware.
    >
    > I've recently acquired an external drive with (among others) an eSATA
    > interface, so I also bought a eSATA->SATA bracket and intend to use that drive
    > (Lacie d2 quadra 500G) through eSATA.

    BTW, eSATA cannot technically be converted properly to SATA with a
    simple connector adapter. eSATA is supposed to use higher signalling
    voltages and so using such an adapter is not guaranteed to work.

    > The thing is that if I boot the machine with the drive plugged and turned on,
    > it is properly detected and usable. If, at some point, I want to remove the
    > drive, I unmount any partitions on it and issue the proper scsiadd -r command
    > (usually scsiadd -r 1 0 0 0, since this is the second SATA drive) and
    > everything is fine (I turn the drive off and unplug it), so far. Next, when
    > I want to use the drive again, it's still detected alright (although appears
    > as sdc and not sdb anymore), but the SCSI layer issues "scsi 1:0:0:0:
    > rejecting I/O to dead device" from time to time. Then any scsiadd -r 1 0 0 0
    > command fails with "No such device or address", although it appears in the
    > output of scsiadd -p or even scsiadd -s (always as 1 0 0 0). If I ignore that
    > detail and switch the drive off, then the kernel eventually notices that the
    > drive is gone and the SCSI layer attempts to stop the device and fails ([sdc]
    > START_STOP FAILED). From that moment on, any attempt to plug the drive again
    > fails. The kernel issues "ata2: hard resetting port" and "ata2: port is slow
    > to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)" periodically, until I switch the
    > drive off.
    >
    > If the drive is not present at boot, then hot plugging it fails. The kernel
    > first soft resets the port, then issues the "please be patient (Status 0x80)"
    > message, complains that SRST failed (errno=-16) and goes on hard resetting the
    > port, issuing "please be patient (Status 0x80)" and complaining that COMRESET
    > failed (errno=-16), periodically, until the drive is switched off.

    Full dmesg output would be useful..

    > If somebody could tell me whether hot-plugging is supposed to work with my
    > SATA interface, it would be nice. =) The motherboard happens to offer another
    > SATA interface (Sil3512A) which is well supported and appears to support
    > hot-plugging as well, but it conflicts nastily with my PCTV Pro (bttv) card
    > (which are apparently known to conflict with the Sil SATA interfaces).
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Ignacy

      Last update: 2008-01-26 04:07    [W:0.027 / U:1.824 seconds]