Subjectnfs server patches not in 2.6.25
From
Just some idea what we might be working on for 2.6.26, besides continued
bug-fixing and cleanup:

Work that we already have patches for and that I expect to be included
in whole or in 2.6.26:

- ipv6: Aurélien Charbon's patch to add ipv6 support to the
server's export interface is ready. I'm not clear what else
remains for full ipv6 support.
- failover and migration: Wendy Cheng's patches appear to be in
good shape, so I expect them or something with equivalent
functionality to be in 2.6.26.
- gss callbacks: We have patches to add support for rpcsec_gss
on NFSv4's callback channel (allowing us to support
delegations on kerberos mounts), but they've been put on hold
pending improvements to the client's gssd upcall. I hope to
get back to that work in the next few weeks.

Also in progress:

- spkm3 and future gss mechanisms may generate context
initiation rpc's that are very large. Olga Kornievskaia and I
have been working on fixing the server gssd interfaces to
permit this.

- There are some mismatches between the semantics required for
nfsv4 delegations and what Linux's lease subsystem provides
us. David Richter and I have done a little work on this. We
need to start submitting it.

Three items I identified previously as issues I'd like fixed before we
removed the dependency of CONFIG_NFSD_V4 on CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL:

http://linux-nfs.org/pipermail/nfsv4/2006-December/005497.html

- export paths consistent between v2/v3/v4: We have some code
that fixes this entirely in userspace. That approach doesn't
provide stable filehandles in the NFSv4 pseudofilesystem, and
there seems to be a general sentiment that it's overly
complicated. It has the one advantage that we don't have to
commit to it, since it uses only existing kernel interfaces.
So I think we're probably going to apply that to nfs-utils as
a stopgap measure and start work on fixing this in the kernel
at the same time....

- reboot recovery: there have been complaints about the
server-side nfsv4 reboot recovery code for a while, we've had
code that tries to fix it for a while, and it just hasn't
happened. I'm hoping we can finally get this ready for
2.6.26.

- export security: this was finished in 2.6.23; we now support
export options like sec=krb5:krb5i:krb5p, which have a few
advantages over the special gss/krb5 client names. This could
be better documented, though.

I've probably left a lot out. Let me know of ongoing projects and
todo's that I've forgotten....

--b.