    SubjectRe: echo mem > /sys/power/state
    On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 00:47 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > > Well, that would certainly help.
    > > >
    > > > I do test all of my patches and generally all of the patches I sign
    > > > off, but surely that's not enough.
    > >
    > > please add a .config option dependent on CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y [and
    > > default-disabled] that auto-tests suspend/resume functionality 60
    > > seconds after hitting user-space (the suspend/resume cycle kept small
    > > via a small RTC timeout) and s2ram correctness will be tested _a lot_
    > > more.
    > >
    > > (it doesnt matter if graphics does not resume fine - at least for my
    > > tests)
    > >
    > > kprobes had similar problems and it now has a few simple smoke-tests -
    > > which i just saw trigger on a patch that i did not notice would break
    > > kprobes. I think this should be done for all functionality that is not
    > > regularly triggered by a normal distro bootup (and which is easy to
    > > overlook in testing).
    > >

    > Seeing as we're so lame about being able to distribute userspace stuff:
    > create a shell script in /proc/rc.kernel and start teaching initscripts to
    > run it. Then we can modify it at will.
    >
    > I hate me.

    With all the discussion lately about boot-time smoketests and self-tests
    maybe this kind of stuff would be a good first candidate for useful
    new early-userspace functionality. Then the kernel build could be
    taught about building an initramfs that runs a bunch of tests
    and leaves the user in a shell letting them know if it passed or not.

    This would be a great way for increasing the number of testers, just
    ask them to build with that option and a _known_ testsuite could
    be reported as working or not.

    Or maybe I'm out to lunch....

    Harvey

      Last update: 2008-01-18 10:07    [W:0.022 / U:30.712 seconds]