SubjectRe: Why is the kfree() argument const?
On Jan 18, 2008 6:02 AM, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com> wrote:

> However, *destroying* an object is not a metadata operation -- it destroys
> the data as well. This is kind of a philosophical point, but an object does
> not have a "does this object exist" piece of metadata. If an object does not
> exist, it has no data. So destroying an object destroys the data and is thus
> a write/modification operation on the data.

In C++ you can delete a const pointer. Now I know kernel hackers
aren't especially impressed with C++ but maybe someone could look up
the rationale for that design decision (I couldn't find it). It might
shed some light on this discussion.

/DM

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans