    SubjectRe: [patch] Converting writeback linked lists to a tree based data structure
    On Jan 15, 2008 7:01 PM, Fengguang Wu <wfg@mail.ustc.edu.cn> wrote:
    > Basically I think rbtree is an overkill to do time based ordering.
    > Sorry, Michael. But s_dirty would be enough for that. Plus, s_more_io
    > provides fair queuing between small/large files, and s_more_io_wait
    > provides waiting mechanism for blocked inodes.

    I think the flush_tree (which is a little more than just an rbtree)
    provides the same queuing mechanisms that the three or four lists
    heads do and manages to do it in one structure. The i_flushed_when
    provides the ability to have blocked inodes wait their turn so to
    speak.

    Another motivation behind the rbtree patch is to unify the data
    structure that handles the priority and mechanism of how we write out
    the pages of the inodes. There are some ideas about introducing
    priority schemes for QOS and such in the future. I am not saying this
    patch is about making that happen, but the idea is to if possible
    unify the four stages of lists into a single structure to facilitate
    efforts like that.

    mrubin

      Last update: 2008-01-16 19:59    [W:2.825 / U:0.048 seconds]