SubjectRe: Fwd: Re: [2.6.24 patch] restore ARMv6 OProfile support
* Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:07:20PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Linus Torvalds (torvalds@linux-foundation.org) wrote:

> > > No it's not.
> > >
> > > Now the config variables may all be there, but the UI for the *menu*
> > > system is broken (ie all the ARM profiling config options are now outside
> > > the profiling menu).
> > >
> > > Is that menu really needed? I dunno. But since it exists, it should be
> > > correct.
> > >
> > > Linus
> >
> > There is an "instrumentation menu removal" patchset I've submitted to
> > Andrew for the next release cycle that moves the instrumentation menu
> > content into General setup (I did this following your advice).
> >
> > Furthermore, on ARM, the OPROFILE_ARMV6, OPROFILE_MPCORE and
> > OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE are all "bool , default y" (equivalent to the
> > preferred def_bool y). Unless I am grossly mistaken, this is not
> > supposed to show up in the menus; it's just selected when the
> > dependencies are met.
>
> This was the patch:
> +if OPROFILE
> +
> +config OPROFILE_ARMV6
> + def_bool y
> + depends on CPU_V6 && !SMP
> + select OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
> +
> +config OPROFILE_MPCORE
> + def_bool y
> + depends on CPU_V6 && SMP
> + select OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
> +
> +config OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
> + bool
> +
> +endif
>
> And none of these has a prompt defined so they do not show up
> as a menu.
> It is very easy to test if you have the patch applied.
> No cross toolchin is needed - just do:
> make ARCH=arm menuconfig
>
> Sam

Just tested with and without oprofile/MPCORE/CPU_V6 combinations and I
confirm that :

- no menu is showing up (as expected)
- the OPROFILE_* config options are selected (or not) as expected

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-01-15 20:53    [W:0.041 / U:0.416 seconds]