    SubjectPossibly silly Q?
    Greetings;

    Do we have a utility that can force the kernel to re-read, and re-initialize
    itself to a given drives partition tables without having to reboot if one is
    working with a drive that is not part of the required kernel directory tree?

    The reason I ask, is that I've just spent about 20 hours fighting with amanda
    after repartitioning a drive for use by amanda as virtual tapes,
    making /dev/sdc1 into a primary partition of nearly 400GB. /dev/sdc1 started
    out as a /boot2 labeled partition of 200mb, and because the kernels data was
    stale, amanda upchucked all over itself when the kernel thought the original
    200Mb had been filled when it had been umounted from /mnt/bootf8
    repartitioned, mke2fs'd, a journal added and a new label written and then
    mounted to /amandatapes.

    Something it seems to me, should have forced the re-init, but didn't. So is
    there a tool that can force that?

    Thanks

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2008-01-14 20:37    [W:0.051 / U:1.548 seconds]