SubjectRe: Lenovo ThinkPads need acpi_osi="Linux"
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Userspace is in a better position to make this determination. Of course,

That's fine with me.

> this also means not passing the Linux OSI to the firmware. Our hardware
> interaction is sufficiently in flux that any attempt to work around it
> in the firmware is just going to lead to bizarre breakage down the road.

The Linux OSI string does more. I just found out that it also drives the
MUTE key behaviour (and you want the behaviour *with* the Linux OSI string
loaded).

Some of the behaviours are actually linux-version agnostic. E.g. we'll
always prefer that the Mute key send a KEY_MUTE event over the keyboard
controller *without* touching the hardware (which is what it does if the
Linux OSI string is *present*) in ThinkPads where there is no
firmware-specific mixer hardware (i.e. the T61 and probably X61). For such
uses, the OSI string is fine.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2008-01-14 14:09    [W:2.848 / U:0.008 seconds]