    SubjectRe: [RFC, PATCH] watchdog on gpio
    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:45:25 -0500
    "Mike Frysinger" <vapier.adi@gmail.com> wrote:

    > there is no hard requirement anywhere that says platform resources
    > must be in the board resources file. marking the functions as __init
    > instead of __devinit will basically cause a kernel crash if someone
    > tries to use dynamic platform resources. there is no option that i'm
    > aware of that prevents dynamic platform resources which means there is
    > no way for the driver to say "i wont work with standard dynamic
    > platform resources".

    There is: platform_driver_probe(). It takes the probe function as a
    parameter so that it can be left out of the platform_driver struct.
    After it returns, there are no references to the probe function left
    around, so if you call platform_driver_probe() instead of
    platform_driver_register(), the probe function can be __init.

    I agree that the driver is not safe in its current form.

    Haavard

      Last update: 2008-01-14 13:17    [W:0.027 / U:61.584 seconds]