    SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc7, intel audio: alsa doesn't say a beep
    At Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:41:21 +0100,
    Harald Dunkel wrote:
    > Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > > At Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:02:53 +0100,
    > > Harald Dunkel wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> Sorry, no sound.
    > >
    > > OK, but I'd like to know whether this makes no regression to rc6.
    > > Could you check?
    > >
    > > Also, what exactly did you test? "No sound" means that no sound from
    > > the headphone / line-out or from the speaker?
    > >
    > > One interesting test would be to increase the value of udelay() in the
    > > reverted patch. What happens if it's set to 500?
    > >
    > There is no udelay() in the reverted patch.

    Hm? Ingo's patch replaces msleep(1) with udelay(10) +
    cond_resched(). This is the patch we're arguing. This was already
    reverted (based on your report) on git.

    > If I replace "udelay(10)"
    > by "udelay(500)" in the original rc7, then there is still no sound.

    Interesting... What about udelay(1000)? Then it'll be closer to

    > This is like fishing in the dark. We've got a working version. Why not
    > keep it?

    Yes, we are shooting in the dark now indeed. Honestly, I have no
    concrete idea why the patch breaks the sound initialization.

    It seems that Dell machines (or STAC codecs) have problems with the
    initialization timing. I don't think that all commands but only
    certain some command sequences that are so sensitive to the access
    timing. We need to identify this.

    Ingo's patch is basically a really nice fix. It reduces the
    unnecessary delay, especially improves resume speed much. I'd love to
    have it. And above all, I need to understand what is the real
    problem. Unfortunately, I have no this hardware and the precise h/w
    data, so must rely on testers and a guess work.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-01-13 12:29    [W:0.030 / U:19.084 seconds]