    SubjectRe: The ext3 way of journalling
    On Jan 12, 2008 10:06 AM, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
    [snip]
    > Unfortunately Ubuntu users [snip] fit this demographic hugely, and
    > Ubuntu refuses to fix this problem[1], so it's been personally very
    > vexing, because the users complain to *me*, and I can't fix the problem,
    > because it's a distribution init script issue.
    Ubuntu refuses to be power user friendly. They've forgotten the True
    Meaning (tm) of Linux and try to be Windows-friendly, i.e., No Choices
    (tm).

    > Maybe someday Ubuntu will get this right --- but I'm not counting on it.
    The alternative CD installer still looks like a semi-dumbed-down
    debian installer. Hell, even the command-line base install is severely
    bloated - it's the exact opposite of LFS or gentoo.
    Still, it's *usable* in comparison to the livecd.

    > [1] Something about installer CD's, and not wanting to ask the users
    > any questions, not even what time zone they are in, or some other
    > crazyness. I never completely understood the argument and their
    > design constraints.
    Idiot friendliness and no exceptions to power users (e.g.., bloated
    init scripts, UUID fstab). I switched to debian-unstable ages ago
    *just* because apt is _really_ easy to use. Which I use secondarily to
    Gentoo, where things Just Work (tm), once you patch the package
    ebuilds to process your .patch files anyway and, while the packages
    have *lots* of patches, it doesn't bloat the code *and* you can
    disable the patches with the "vanilla" USE flag.

    --
    Andrey Vul

      Last update: 2008-01-12 20:27    [W:4.177 / U:0.152 seconds]