SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 12:27:06PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > Ivan's patch doesn't start enabling MMCONFIG in more places than we
> > currently do. It makes us use conf1 accesses for all accesses below
> > 256 bytes. That fixes all known problems to date.
>
> .. and I agree with that patch. But there will be people who try to access
> extended space by mistake, and they'll have a hard-locked machine or
> something.

But they can't. We limit the size they can access to 256 bytes, unless
the kernel probed address 256 and it worked.

> > The armour plating that already exists -- pci=nommconf.
>
> No. It needs to be automatic, OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
>
> Ie we disable the unsafe feature on purpose, and then force people who
> access it to do so *consciously*.

I'd be fine with making mmconfig off by default. Make people pass
pci=mmconf to activate it.

> Extended config space is different, for chissake! It's not even like it's
> just a bigger normal config space where normal config accesses just
> overflow into it. It really does have different rules etc.

Yes, but it's also important to enable some of the PCIe features.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-01-11 21:45    [W:0.142 / U:0.096 seconds]