    SubjectRe: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

    On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 13:43 +0100, Matthew wrote:

    > it's a little tricky to reproduce it:
    > I tried it with root-account: firefox-bin, thunderbird-bin wouldn't trigger
    > user-account (with used account-directory of both apps):
    > thunderbird-bin triggers it more reliably
    > probably it has to do with the x86 compatibility apps of gentoo ?
    > gentoo amd64-users with 32bit firefox & thunderbird - anyone able to
    > reproduce it ?

    I believe that I *have* seen this happen to me. I'm using a Compaq
    R3000 laptop with AMD-64 CPU and Gentoo with kernel 2.6.24-rc6-mm1.

    A few days ago I crashed it twice in a row by trying to load my Comics
    bookmarks as tabs (87 entries) in 32-bit Firefox.

    I only got 1 and 3/4ths lines output by netconsole and it mentioned a
    function with 32-something in the name.

    Later tonight I can try loading the tabs in Firefox again to see if it
    will reproduce for a 3rd time.

    I also have to say that the NMI watchdog, supposedly Non-Maskable,
    hardly *ever* works for me. I don't believe that whatever events reset
    the dog actually matter to the end user. Perhaps its still processing
    interrupts and running a timer loop but if nothing can read or write
    disk, net, netlink or other device IO, I don't believe the system can
    actually claim to be working.
    Zan Lynx <>
      Last update: 2008-01-11 00:37    [W:0.020 / U:3.248 seconds]