    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:26:23 +0100
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    > * Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:
    >
    > > This patch removes the EXPERIMENTAL option and all dependencies on
    > > EXPERIMENTAL since they are pointless.
    >
    > agreed. CONFIG_BROKEN has real use - but CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is pretty
    > pointless in the 90-days kernel development model.

    Then I need a replacement equivalent for the ATA layer and all the other
    drivers using it to indicate stuff that *IS* experimental, or not yet
    known to be highly robust. Drivers are not the same as core code Ingo and
    the world driver writers live in is very different to the one you operate
    in as is clearly shown by this and by the _p discussion.

    Still NAK. As the alternative is

    CONFIG_ATA_EXPERIMENTAL, CONFIG_NET_EXPERIMENTAL,
    CONFIG_VIDEO_EXPERIMENTAL, ... all being added by developers

    We will also need experimental badly in future when the EU liability
    rules (and probably the US ones in a similar time scale) change so that
    liability applies to software, because then it will be very important to
    clearly label code that is experimental or development code as such.

    Alan

      Last update: 2008-01-01 15:41    [W:5.090 / U:0.268 seconds]