SubjectRe: broken ACPI NUMA config option
James C. Georgas wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-09 at 22:00 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>>> For example, you would only need to specify one "select" directive in
>>> X86_64_ACPI_NUMA, (i.e. to turn on ACPI_NUMA). The configuration system
>>> would then recursively walk up ACPI_NUMA's dependency hierarchy, turning
>>> on what it needed.
>> That is highly desirable IMO. Not having that is one of the things
>> that makes using 'select' "evil."
>>
>> Have you looked at the code and given any thought to implementing this?
>>

> I'd like to take a run at it. The only issue I foresee is what to do
> about multiple OR dependencies. There are some kconfig options that
> depend on at least one of a set of specified dependencies. For example,
> is ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE selectable if only one of NUMA || EXPERIMENTAL
> is selected? So do we abort, select one, or select all dependencies?

It's a logical OR, meaning one or more of them is enabled.

I expect that there are some places that enabling all dependencies
would very much be the wrong thing to do, and choosing only one is
just a wild guess, so it looks like you would have to abort, with a
helpful message.

--
~Randy