SubjectRe: sata & scsi suggestion for make menuconfig
Date
Al Boldi <a1426z@gawab.com> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

>> > I once sent a patch to make libata a submenu of scsi.
>>
>> Which is wrong
>>
>> Nakked-by: Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com>
>>
>> The general comments about moving this stuff around and making it clearer
>> what sd/sr etc are nowdays are good but hiding libata under SCSI will
>> cause even more confusion than it cures
>
> That's easy to fix: just change the SCSI heading to include a libata hint.

I think you're fixing the wrong problem.

The real problem is hiding devices attached to some controlers between
one kind of the controllers. This has been correct whern they were bus-
specific, but since they are now shared by three busses, they should get
their own menu called "(S)ATA/USB/SCSI attached devices" - or whatever a
native speaker would suggest.

Besides that, if I imagine being a semi-novice and searching for IDE
support, I would have a hard time finding the IDE menu, and asuming
PATA to be non-experimental one day, I'd have a hard time deciding
which of the drivers to use. Maybe the SATA-drivers should be put
above the old PATA menu, amd maybe both of the titles should include
"(E)IDE"?

BTW: For CONFIG_ATA, you can replace
"(!M32R && !M68K || BROKEN) && (!SUN4 || BROKEN)"
with "(!M32R && !M68K && !SUN4 || BROKEN)"

BTW2: I think that menu needs very much reordering. "Block devices" should
be renamed to "Other block devices", AGP support should belong into graphics
support, and many other things I don't even know need to be pushed around.
Even ordering by name would be better than the current situation! But it
should be done by someone knowing these devices, I could only do a part.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
14. Any more trouble from you and your account gets moved to the 750

Friß, Spammer: NxeCk-fw6@5.7eggert.dyndns.org