SubjectRe: Intel Memory Ordering White Paper
On Saturday 08 September 2007 20:29, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:26:50 -0700
> Jesse Barnes <> wrote:
> > FYI, we just released a new white paper describing memory ordering for
> > Intel processors:
> >

> > Should help answer some questions about some of the ordering primitives
> > we use on i386 and x86_64.
> Nice - but it appears to be 64bit only - and indeed it appears to be
> untrue for real 32bit because of the Pentium Pro fencing errata.

As I said, we're not doing anything special in barriers for the ppro errata
today anyway.

> The kernel also runs on IDT Winchip, Cyrix and AMD processors not all of
> which have exactly the same behaviour (the IDT Winchip as we run it
> profoundly differs)

AMD processors guarantee loads are ordered and stores are ordered
(with exceptions of non-temporal, and non-wb policy).

As for the others that do out of order stores, are any of them SMP?