    SubjectRe: Intel Memory Ordering White Paper
    On Saturday 08 September 2007 20:29, Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:26:50 -0700
    > Jesse Barnes <> wrote:
    > > FYI, we just released a new white paper describing memory ordering for
    > > Intel processors:
    > >

    > > Should help answer some questions about some of the ordering primitives
    > > we use on i386 and x86_64.
    > Nice - but it appears to be 64bit only - and indeed it appears to be
    > untrue for real 32bit because of the Pentium Pro fencing errata.

    As I said, we're not doing anything special in barriers for the ppro errata
    today anyway.

    > The kernel also runs on IDT Winchip, Cyrix and AMD processors not all of
    > which have exactly the same behaviour (the IDT Winchip as we run it
    > profoundly differs)

    AMD processors guarantee loads are ordered and stores are ordered
    (with exceptions of non-temporal, and non-wb policy).

    As for the others that do out of order stores, are any of them SMP?

      Last update: 2007-09-08 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:2.516 seconds]