    SubjectRe: [patch 1/6] Linux Kernel Markers - Architecture Independent Code
    On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:37:37PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > Thanks. I look forward to the explanation of Reviewed-by, what it
    > means, and how it differs from Acked-by.

    This was proposed by Andrew and discussed at the Kernel Summit; the
    basic idea is that it is a formal indication that the person has done
    a *full* review of the patch (a few random comments from the local
    whitespace police don't count), and is willing to vouch that the patch
    is correct, safe, extremely unlikely to cause regressions, etc. If
    the patch does need to be reverted or fixed because it was buggy, then
    both the original submitter and the reviewer would bear responsibility
    and subsystem maintainers might take that into account when assessing
    the reputations of the submitter and reviewer in the future when
    deciding whether or not to accept a patch.

    Basically, some people seem to be using "Acked-by" to mean, "seems
    good to me", without necessarily doing a full review of the patch, and
    instead of trying to change the meaning of "Acked-by", to have a new
    sign off which is a bit more explicitly about what it means. (Hmmm,
    thinking about it afterwards, maybe "Vouched-by:" would be even

    There was some thought about negative attention (i.e., "public
    mockery") given to people who sign off on a patch via Reviewed-by:
    that subsequently turns out to be buggy or cause a regression, but the
    concern with that is that we have enough trouble finding people to
    review patches, and we wouldn't want to scare off reviewers. But it
    would be fair to say that the consequences of reviewing patches
    successfully or unsuccessfully would naturally impact people's

    There was also some discussion about whether or not patches would not
    be accepted at all without a Reviewed-by, but that probably won't
    happen initially. The general consensus was to gently ease into it
    and see how well it works first.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-09-07 18:21    [W:0.022 / U:6.872 seconds]