    SubjectRe: file system for solid state disks

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

    > On Thursday 23 August 2007 09:55, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
    >>> If I had to choose, the list of options seems to be:
    >>> - logfs
    >>> [unmerged]
    >>> - UBI layer with any fs you like
    >>> [just a guess]
    >>> - UDF in Spared Flavor (mkudffs --media-type=cdrw --utf8)
    >>> [does not support ACLs/quotas]
    >> Isn't it that with modern rotational wear-levelling, re-writing hot
    >> blocks many times is not an issue, as they are internally moved around
    >> anyway? So, using a journalled filesystem such as ext3 is still good
    >> (robustness and maturity in mind).
    > Crap hardware (one which only _claim_ to do it) is out there,
    > and is typically cheaper, so users preferentially buy that ;)
    > --
    > vda

    You might want to check and see what is actually being
    used for the solid-state disk. Some solid state disks
    are SRAM and DRAM. SRAM is fast, it doesn't require refresh,
    is now as cheap as flash, and does R/W forever. It retains
    its data for 10 years of power being removed by using an
    embedded battery.

    This is exactly what I proposed on this list a long
    time ago. It is now a reality.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version on an i686 machine (5588.30 BogoMips).
    My book :

    The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

    Thank you.

      Last update: 2007-09-05 14:59    [W:0.035 / U:43.584 seconds]