SubjectRe: the Linux kernel, testsuites, and maybe *you*
On 9/2/07, Andi Kleen <> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:15:23AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > there is still the ABI issue ... code written in kernel space in pure
> > asm cannot always be compiled in userspace and work properly/the same
> Is that a blackfin weirdness?

yes, Blackfin is weird in this respect due to being a no-mmu and
wanting ELF, but i was being sufficiently general to bolster my claims
and to leave the door open for any other port out there i'm not
familiar with and any port that comes along

> > > The other issue to test some of them properly you need unmapped pages
> > > etc. That gets much easier to do in user space. There are some other
> > > issues.
> >
> > you mean testing boundary overflows ? can be handled with canaries
> > rather than segfaults i imagine ...
> Not for reads, no.

true, but generally the string functions arent searching for crashes
in the boundary conditions ... they just happen to sometimes find them