    SubjectRe: the Linux kernel, testsuites, and maybe *you*
    On 9/2/07, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:15:23AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
    > > there is still the ABI issue ... code written in kernel space in pure
    > > asm cannot always be compiled in userspace and work properly/the same
    >
    > Is that a blackfin weirdness?

    yes, Blackfin is weird in this respect due to being a no-mmu and
    wanting ELF, but i was being sufficiently general to bolster my claims
    and to leave the door open for any other port out there i'm not
    familiar with and any port that comes along

    > > > The other issue to test some of them properly you need unmapped pages
    > > > etc. That gets much easier to do in user space. There are some other
    > > > issues.
    > >
    > > you mean testing boundary overflows ? can be handled with canaries
    > > rather than segfaults i imagine ...
    >
    > Not for reads, no.

    true, but generally the string functions arent searching for crashes
    in the boundary conditions ... they just happen to sometimes find them
    :)
    -mike

      Last update: 2007-09-04 17:09    [W:0.022 / U:60.964 seconds]