    SubjectRe: GPL weasels and the atheros stink
    Date
    On Tuesday 04 September 2007 11:10:52 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:23:37 PDT, David Schwartz said:
    > > > Wrong - I said "You can't complain about Person A doing X when
    > > > you let Person
    > > > B do X without complaint".
    > >
    > > Yes, I can. There is no inconsistency between acting in one case and
    > > failing to act in another. We need not act in every possible case where
    > > we could act to preserve our right to act in a particular case.
    >
    > You *do* however need to be aware that in some cases, public inactivity
    > and/or statements that something will not be acted on may estoppel any
    > future attempts to enforce something.

    Exactly. However, inactivity can be construed as lack of knowledge that
    something is occurring. (ie: the RIAA didn't start acting on file-sharing
    until they became aware of Napster)

    But for said estoppel to not be a factor you will have to prosecute and/or
    file suit on all instances of the activity. (And filing a suit and then
    dropping it against some of the people that you filed suit against - ie: you
    file suit against persons A and B and then drop the suit against person A in
    its entirety - because you only wanted to prosecute person B for the action,
    you are leaving yourself open to lawsuits on a number of counts.)

    DRH

    --
    Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.