    SubjectRe: [patch/backport] CFS scheduler, -v22, for v2.6.23-rc8, v2.6.22.8, v2.6.21.7, v2.6.20.20

    * Alejandro Riveira Fernández <ariveira@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > Even if CFS v20.5 worked well for you, please try this release too, with
    > > a good focus on interactivity testing - because, unless some major
    > > showstopper is found, this codebase is intended for a v2.6.24 upstream
    > > merge.
    > >
    > > ( Even a quick, subjective report of: "checked this patch, it didnt
    > > crash and it feels like v20.5" or "laggier than v20.5" or "feels
    > > better than v20.5" is useful to us and enables us to judge the general
    > > direction of interactivity. )
    >
    > I feel it better than 20.5 but the later is more stable. Let me
    > explain.
    >
    > I patched a 2.6.22.9 kernel with both versions 22 and 20.5[1]. With
    > the 22 version if i lock the screen (run screensaver) or i try to run
    > a wine program i experience a hard lock up no keyboard or mouse and i
    > have to reboot the machine (i can not try to access it via ssh
    > because i do not have a second machine). I run with the nvidia kernel
    > module so I know my report is useless but just for the record... Here
    > it is my config:

    hm. There are no similar reports so far. Could you try to run the wine
    program from a VGA text console (first do 'xhost +' in an xterm under X
    and then 'export DISPLAY=:0' in the text console) and see whether
    anything gets output to that console? Also enable nmi_watchdog=2 - which
    could print a backtrace of the point of the hard lockup.

    but in general there's nothing scheduler-specific about screensavers or
    wine - but it could be related to 3D mode of the chip (hence related to
    the nvidia module) - do you get a similar lockup if you try to run
    'glxgears'?

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-09-30 17:29    [W:0.060 / U:30.288 seconds]