    SubjectRe: F_DUPFD_CLOEXEC implementation
    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

    > My use case is: I want to do a nonblocking read on descriptor 0 (stdin).
    > It may be a pipe or a socket.
    >
    > There may be other processes which share this descriptor with me,
    > I simply cannot know that. And they, too, may want to do reads on it.
    >
    > I want to do nonblocking read in such a way that neither those other
    > processes will ever see fd switching to O_NONBLOCK and back, and
    > I also want to be safe from other processes doing the same.
    >
    > I don't see how this can be done using standard unix primitives.

    Indeed. You could simulate non-blocking using poll with zero timeout, but
    if another task may read/write on it, your following read/write may end up
    blocking even after a poll returned the required events.
    One way to solve this would be some sort of readx/writex where you pass an
    extra flags parameter (this could be done with sys_indirect, assuming
    we'll ever get that mainline) where you specify the non-blocking
    requirement for-this-call, and not as global per-file flag. Then, of
    course, you'll have to modify all the "file->f_flags & O_NONBLOCK" tests
    (and there are many of them) to check for that flag too (that can be a
    per task_struct flag).

    - Davide

      Last update: 2007-10-01 05:17    [W:0.029 / U:94.396 seconds]