    SubjectRe: A unresponsive file system can hang all I/O in the system on linux-2.6.23-rc6 (dirty_thresh problem?)
    Andrew wrote:
    > It's unrelated to the actual value of dirty_thresh: if the machine fills up
    > with dirty (or unstable) NFS pages then eventually new writers will block
    > until that condition clears.
    > 2.4 doesn't have this problem at low levels of dirty data because 2.4
    > VFS/MM doesn't account for NFS pages at all.

    Is it really NFS-related? I was trying to back up my 2.6.23-rc8 system
    to an external USB drive the other day when something flaked and the
    drive fell off the bus. That, too, was sufficient to wedge the entire
    system, even though the only thing which needed the dead drive was one
    rsync process. It's kind of a bummer to have to hit the reset button
    after the failure of (what should be) a non-critical piece of hardware.

    Not that I have a fix to propose...:)

      Last update: 2007-09-28 15:31    [W:0.025 / U:11.384 seconds]