    SubjectRe: iwl4965 and driver merging policy
    On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:39:27AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > Just a little question in the light of the discussion we had at Kernel
    > Summit about merging drivers upstream (and here, I strongly agree with
    > Linus, hence my message).
    > I just got that new T61 laptop which happens to have an iwl4xxx chip.
    > The distro I installed on it (ubuntu) has a driver for it. I suspect
    > others do too and most users get it from some random external tree and
    > use it.
    > Thus my question, why are we about to release 2.6.23 without it ?
    > It doesn't seem to pull any depedency nor affect any other external
    > piece of code unless I'm missing something, so it's a perfect example of
    > what we've been discussing back then: there is just no point not merging
    > it at any time right ? :-)

    Well, pulling in iwlwifi would require also pulling in the mac80211
    subsystem, so it's not quite that simple (although I'm not sure what's
    holding back that going into the kernel.)

    I had no problem building my personal production kernel by taking
    2.6.23-rc8, and doing a git pull from the everything branch in John
    Linville's wireless-dev git tree. It's probably too late to pull it
    for 2.6.23-rc8 (although if Linux wanted to do it it's only one git
    pull command away :-), but it would be really nice if it could get
    merged in for 2.6.24.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-09-28 04:51    [W:0.027 / U:10.344 seconds]