    SubjectRe: why network devices don't do reference counting?
    From
    From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de>
    Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:55:36 +0200 (CEST)

    > On Sep 27 2007 07:51, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
    > >
    > >You need every socket to close and all routes to go away including the
    > >routes through loopback device, and still there probably are control
    > >sockets buried inside ipv6 that hold ref count.
    > >
    > >IMHO the kernel should just admit that IPV6 can't be removed.
    >
    > I cannot accept that. If ipv6.ko has a way to tack ipv6 structs onto all
    > sockets, interfaces and addresses, it should also be able to untack it
    > again.

    Then you do the work and see how incredibly difficult the
    implementation is, others have tried. It's not trivial
    and at best it's a very time consuming piece of work to
    embark on.

    Until then it's un-removable, plain as that :-)

    I don't know why we're wasting our fingers discussing this
    at all to be honest with you.

      Last update: 2007-09-27 21:17    [W:0.021 / U:2.132 seconds]