SubjectRe: Chroot bug
Alan Cox wrote:
>> Good call. Though I suppose, since it's used 24x7 to aid security on
>> countless production servers, that security dwarfs testing. Still,
>> debugging, yes that's valid.
>>
>> I don't suppose it makes and difference; whatever the purpose, a chroot
>> that doesn't change the root is buggy.
>>

> It does change the root, it just doesn't guarantee you can't change it
> back - which is correct POSIX, Unix, SuS behaviour. So either everyone
> else is wrong or you are.. I know who I am betting on

Charming. They really say that, do they? Where? I find no such thing,
and I looked. I did find Open Groups SuS which, similar to SCO's UNIX,
says:
> The dot-dot entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the
> root directory itself. Thus, dot-dot cannot be used to access files
> outside the subtree rooted at the root directory.

I feel I've presented a good case that that it's a bug. You made a
somewhat rude counter-claim, which I don't ascribe to malevolence.
You're simply disinterested. Nobody else cares, so why expend effort on
it, right? I'll let it drop, but it is a bug.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans