    SubjectRe: Chroot bug
    Alan Cox wrote:
    >> Good call. Though I suppose, since it's used 24x7 to aid security on
    >> countless production servers, that security dwarfs testing. Still,
    >> debugging, yes that's valid.
    >> I don't suppose it makes and difference; whatever the purpose, a chroot
    >> that doesn't change the root is buggy.
    > It does change the root, it just doesn't guarantee you can't change it
    > back - which is correct POSIX, Unix, SuS behaviour. So either everyone
    > else is wrong or you are.. I know who I am betting on

    Charming. They really say that, do they? Where? I find no such thing,
    and I looked. I did find Open Groups SuS which, similar to SCO's UNIX,
    > The dot-dot entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the
    > root directory itself. Thus, dot-dot cannot be used to access files
    > outside the subtree rooted at the root directory.

    I feel I've presented a good case that that it's a bug. You made a
    somewhat rude counter-claim, which I don't ascribe to malevolence.
    You're simply disinterested. Nobody else cares, so why expend effort on
    it, right? I'll let it drop, but it is a bug.

      Last update: 2007-09-26 12:27    [W:0.019 / U:0.552 seconds]