SubjectRe: [RFC] New kernel-message logging API
On 9/23/07, Miguel Ojeda <maxextreme@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice. I would suggest having some kind of standard way to show the
> information on the screen/dmesg. I mean, instead of having plain lines
> being written to the log, having something very short like:

Thanks for the idea. Is this something you want to (manually) insert
in each printk, or would it be passed like a parameter? For the
subsystem part, it might be possible to #define a subsystem name at
the beginning of each file and have printing functions automatically
use this. But otherwise, I think the usefulness of this is perhaps a
little low compared to the effort needed (ie. for this to be useful,
each and every printk of the kernel would need to be changed). Also
notice, even in your examples, that most subsystems/drivers already
prefix their messages to identify the source. Perhaps a better effort
spent would be to go through the ones that are missing this "source"
prefix and fix them?

Vegard

  Last update: 2007-09-25 07:29    [W:0.880 / U:0.596 seconds]