    SubjectRe: [RFC] New kernel-message logging API
    On Monday 24 September 2007 10:19:16 am Joe Perches wrote:
    > On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:22 +0200, Michael Holzheu wrote:
    > > Together with the idea of not allowing multiple lines in the kprint_xxx
    > > functions, that would go with our approach having message numbers to
    > > identify a message.
    > How does this equate/give message numbers?

    I actively want to avoid giving message numbers. My interest is in
    selectively removing messages from the kernel to shrink the binary size (and
    NOT make it up in either a larger userspace utility to translate them, or
    else magic proprietary numbers you can only diagnose if you pay my support

    > An added pass between gcc preprocessor and compiler could compact
    > or compress the format string without modifying the conversion
    > specifications so __attribute__ ((format (printf)) would still work.

    This does not address my problem. Spitting out a proprietary hash code
    instead of a human readable message is not a solution for my use case.

    - Ken Thompson.

      Last update: 2007-09-25 01:55    [W:0.033 / U:12.676 seconds]