SubjectRe: [RFC] New kernel-message logging API
On Monday 24 September 2007 10:19:16 am Joe Perches wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:22 +0200, Michael Holzheu wrote:
> > Together with the idea of not allowing multiple lines in the kprint_xxx
> > functions, that would go with our approach having message numbers to
> > identify a message.
> How does this equate/give message numbers?

I actively want to avoid giving message numbers. My interest is in
selectively removing messages from the kernel to shrink the binary size (and
NOT make it up in either a larger userspace utility to translate them, or
else magic proprietary numbers you can only diagnose if you pay my support

> An added pass between gcc preprocessor and compiler could compact
> or compress the format string without modifying the conversion
> specifications so __attribute__ ((format (printf)) would still work.

This does not address my problem. Spitting out a proprietary hash code
instead of a human readable message is not a solution for my use case.

- Ken Thompson.

  Last update: 2007-09-25 01:55    [W:0.087 / U:4.460 seconds]