    SubjectRe: [patch 0/7] Linux Kernel Markers (redux)
    * Christoph Hellwig ( wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:49:50PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
    > > Hi Andrew,
    > >
    > > Following Christoph Hellwig's suggestion, aiming at a Linux Kernel Markers
    > > inclusion for 2.6.24, I made a simplified version of the Linux Kernel Markers.
    > > There are no more dependencies on any other patchset.
    > >
    > > The modification only involved turning the immediate values into static
    > > variables and adapting the documentation accordingly. It will have a little more
    > > data cache impact when disabled than the version based on the immediate values,
    > > but it is far less complex.
    > >
    > > Since things have not moved much in the markers area recently (most of the
    > > concerns were about the immediate values), I expect it to be ready for 2.6.24.
    > I've done a quick review and except for my usual nitpicking it looks
    > very good to me. I'll try my sputrace code with this version and will
    > report on how it works.
    > I'd really love to see markers in 2.6.24. The impact to core code of
    > the actual markers is minimal with some more struct fields in functions
    > in the module code, although we'll want Mathieu's fix for the modules
    > list aswell which is a little more invasive. But I think we want that
    > one anyway.

    Well, since I just moved the marker iterators down in my patchset, I can
    move down the module list fix altogether and keep it for later. It will
    make the patchset as unintrusive as possible.

    > I'd say we probably don't want the blktrace conversion that late in the
    > game, though - but we can queue that once together with the optimizations
    > from Mathieu's earlier patches in -mm.

    I provided blktrace as a first user of the markers, but I agree that it
    may be a little late for merging. I can keep it for later too.

    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2007-09-24 21:07    [W:0.022 / U:2.032 seconds]