    SubjectRe: [Announce] Linux-tiny project revival
    Date
    On Thursday 20 September 2007 4:22:37 pm Jared Hulbert wrote:
    > > > I think that this idea is not worth it.
    >
    > Don't use the config option then....
    >
    > > My problem is that switching off printk is the single biggest bloat
    > > cutter in the kernel, yet it makes the resulting system very hard to
    > > support. It combines a big upside with a big downside, and I'd like
    > > something in between.
    >
    > It's not such a big downside IMHO. You can support a kernel without
    > printk. Need to debug the kernel without printk? Use a JTAG
    > debugger...

    I don't actually own a jtag. (I do use qemu's gdb support to debug the target
    kernel, but it's darn awkward and has limited hardware support.)

    > If you have a system that actually configures out printk's, chances
    > are you don't have storage and output mechanisms to do much with the
    > messages anyway. Think embedded _products_ here.

    I plead the fifth.

    > Sure the
    > development boards have serial, ethernet, and all that jazz but tens
    > of millions of ARM based gadgets don't.

    I wonder if that "Monsoon" gadget does? (Sorry, just on my mind today...)

    Rob
    - Ken Thompson.