    SubjectRe: Fwd: That whole "Linux stealing our code" thing
    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
    > You can shout this all you like but you would be wrong. You can remove
    > the licence if you have permission to do so. For the ath c files there
    > was permission to do so.

    There was permission to do so from Reyk Floeter? Really?

    > Your understanding isn't quite right. One of many things you may get with
    > dual licensed code is the right to pick a licence from several choices,
    > you may also get the right to remove some choices from the recipient.

    Reyk code was never dual licensed! His code is under truly free
    licensing terms (BSD).

    > A work that combines GPL and BSD licensed material is not the same as a
    > work which says I may choose between two licences. If both licences must
    > always apply (which is a perfectly possible condition to put in a
    > licence) then putting such a "both" GPL/BSD licence piece of code into
    > OpenBSD would require any OpenBSD distributed containing it was GPL
    > licenced when conveyed, which I am *very* sure is not the intent.
    >
    > Thus what you appear to be doing by putting the ath5k C code in OpenBSD is
    > conveying it under the BSD licence (making a choice between the two
    > offered) and conveying a right for parties down the chain to convey it
    > under one of the licences only.

    I think that Theo explained this point clearly quite a few times in the
    last days.

    > And as we've already established the header files are quite different.

    Is a simple change in the header files a reason to vindicate the people
    that changed the licensing terms? Obviously, it isn't.

    > Doesn't mean its not somewhat rude but illegal and rude are two very
    > different things.

    No, because this change is both rude and illegal.

    Igor

      Last update: 2007-09-02 14:53    [W:0.026 / U:29.496 seconds]