SubjectRe: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)
On 9/19/07, David Chinner <dgc@sgi.com> wrote:
> The problem is this: to alter the fundamental block size of the
> filesystem we also need to alter the data block size and that is
> exactly the piece that linux does not support right now. So while
> we have the capability to use large block sizes in certain
> filesystems, we can't use that capability until the data path
> supports it.

it's much simpler to teach fs to understand multipage data (like
multipage bitmap scan, multipage extent search, etc) then deal with mm
fragmentation. IMHO. at same time you don't bust IO traffic with
non-used space.

--
thanks, Alex