    SubjectRe: [Announce] Linux-tiny project revival
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Tim Bird <> writes:
    >> Recently, the CE Linux forum has been working to revive the
    >> Linux-tiny project. At OLS, I asked for interested parties
    >> to volunteer to become the new maintainer for the Linux-tiny patchset.
    > Not sure what the point is of a separate patchkit. If it's a reasonable
    > patch it should just be put into mainline. And hopefully all the patches
    > will be reasonable.

    I don't know the detailed history, but my understanding is that
    for some of these, mainline attempts were made in the past.

    The patchkit gives a place for things to live while they are out
    of mainline, and still have multiple people use and work on them.
    Optimally the duration of being out-of-mainline would be short, but
    my experience is that sometimes what an embedded developer considers
    reasonable to hack off the kernel is not considered so reasonable by
    other developers (even with config options). Also, sometimes it
    takes a while for a patch to mature to the point where it is
    acceptable for general use, while still being usable for
    special-purpose projects.
    -- Tim

    Tim Bird
    Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Corporation of America

      Last update: 2007-09-19 21:45    [W:0.029 / U:45.608 seconds]