    SubjectRe: VM/VFS bug with large amount of memory and file systems?
    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:46:47 -0400
    Rik van Riel <> wrote:

    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:11:14 -0400
    > > Rik van Riel <> wrote:
    > >> IIRC I simply kept a list of all buffer heads and walked
    > >> that to reclaim pages when the number of buffer heads is
    > >> too high (and we need memory). This list can be maintained
    > >> in places where we already hold the lock for the buffer head
    > >> freelist, so there should be no additional locking overhead
    > >> (again, IIRC).
    > >
    > > Christoph's slab defragmentation code should permit us to fix this:
    > > grab a page of buffer_heads off the slab lists, trylock the page,
    > > strip the buffer_heads. I think that would be a better approach
    > > if we can get it going because it's more general.
    > Is the slab defragmentation code in -mm or upstream already
    > or can I find it on the mailing list?

    Is on lkml and linux-mm:

    > I've implemented code like you describe already, just give me
    > a few days to become familiar with the slab defragmentation
    > code and I'll get you a patch.

    The patchset does buffer_heads:

    I think the whole approach is reasonable. It's mainly a matter of going
    through it all with a toothcomb and getting it all merged up, tested and
    integrated. There's considerable potential for nasty and rarely-occurring
    surprises in this stuff because it tends to approach locking in the
    reversed order.

    <checks the archives>

    There were a few desultory comments, but I see no sign that the bulk of
    the patches have had any serious review and testing from anyone yet.

      Last update: 2007-09-17 23:53    [W:0.024 / U:12.584 seconds]