    SubjectRe: [ofa-general] InfiniBand/RDMA merge plans for 2.6.24

    Roland Dreier wrote:
    > > I was about to post v2 of my patch to avoid port space collisions with
    > > the native stack. Can we get that 2.6.24? It is high priority
    > > IMO. I've tried to solicit review on it, but I think folks are
    > > reluctant... ;-)
    >
    > I would like to get this in, but I'm still at least a little
    > reluctant, since we would be committing to a user interface that seems
    > a little awkward at best, so I'd like to try and find something
    > better. Just to summarize my understanding:
    >
    > - your patch requires the administration to configure an ethX:iwY
    > alias address to use iwarp. (By the way is there anything other
    > than "don't do that" that avoids assigning the same address to the
    > iwarp alias and a non-iwarp interface?)

    Nope. Its totally up to the admin to create the ethX:iwY interface
    -and- to segment his services so host TCP runs on the ethX subnet(s) and
    the iwarp rdma ones run on ethX:iwY subnet(s). Without changing the
    core network serices, I don't see any way around this.

    > - it would be nicer to create the alias automatically, but an alias
    > without an address doesn't make sense. Creating a whole separate
    > net device causes problems because the iwarp stuff still needs to
    > use the main net device to do ARP etc.

    I do log a warning if an iwarp application binds to address 0.0.0.0 and
    there are no ethX:iwY address available.

    > - so I'm out of better ideas but I still want to push back a little
    > before we commit to something ugly.

    Me 2. :-(

    > I've been meaning to track down the bnx2 iscsi offload patch to look
    > and see if this issue is addressed, since the same problem seems to
    > exist: it seems an iscsi connection and a main stack tcp connection
    > might share the same 4-tuple unless something is done to avoid that
    > happening.
    >
    > Also, I think it behooves us to get some agreement on this approach
    > with NetEffect and Kanoj (NetXen?) at least, since their iwarp drivers
    > seem to be imminent.
    >
    > - R.

      Last update: 2007-09-15 16:07    [W:0.023 / U:129.784 seconds]