SubjectRe: [ofa-general] InfiniBand/RDMA merge plans for 2.6.24

Roland Dreier wrote:
> > I was about to post v2 of my patch to avoid port space collisions with
> > the native stack. Can we get that 2.6.24? It is high priority
> > IMO. I've tried to solicit review on it, but I think folks are
> > reluctant... ;-)
> I would like to get this in, but I'm still at least a little
> reluctant, since we would be committing to a user interface that seems
> a little awkward at best, so I'd like to try and find something
> better. Just to summarize my understanding:
> - your patch requires the administration to configure an ethX:iwY
> alias address to use iwarp. (By the way is there anything other
> than "don't do that" that avoids assigning the same address to the
> iwarp alias and a non-iwarp interface?)

Nope. Its totally up to the admin to create the ethX:iwY interface
-and- to segment his services so host TCP runs on the ethX subnet(s) and
the iwarp rdma ones run on ethX:iwY subnet(s). Without changing the
core network serices, I don't see any way around this.

> - it would be nicer to create the alias automatically, but an alias
> without an address doesn't make sense. Creating a whole separate
> net device causes problems because the iwarp stuff still needs to
> use the main net device to do ARP etc.

I do log a warning if an iwarp application binds to address and
there are no ethX:iwY address available.

> - so I'm out of better ideas but I still want to push back a little
> before we commit to something ugly.

Me 2. :-(