    Subject[RFC] Some driver core and kobject minor patches
    Kay pointed out to me the other day that we are dragging around 20 bytes
    in every struct kobject and in every struct device to contain a name
    string that can be dynamically allocated instead. For small device
    names (the majority), this savings can add up, especially with a lot of
    individual devices.

    So, I started out by getting rid of the static array in the kobject
    structure, as we already were dynamically allocating space if it was

    Of course, this required a number of other minor cleanups through the
    code tree to handle places where we were incorrectly directly accessing
    the kobject name instead of using the "proper" function. I also got
    sidetracked by a few driver core and kobject.h cleanups of macros that
    are no longer needed, or functions that no longer need to be global
    (they were never exported, so we don't have to worry about that mess...)

    And I added a change to trigger a warning if we add an attribute to
    sysfs that we have already had created, to help the SCSI developers out
    with their driver model reworks.

    So, here's a series of 11 patches that I've added to my tree, and will
    send to Linus when 2.6.24 is opened up.

    Any review comments are appreciated. The full diffstat is below showing
    that overall, we did get rid of more code than was added.

    greg k-h

    block/bsg.c | 5 --
    block/elevator.c | 2
    block/ll_rw_blk.c | 2
    drivers/acpi/bus.c | 2
    drivers/base/base.h | 2
    drivers/base/bus.c | 60 ++++++++++++++--------------
    drivers/base/class.c | 6 +-
    drivers/base/sys.c | 2
    drivers/char/raw.c | 5 --
    drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c | 2
    drivers/edac/edac_mc_sysfs.c | 3 -
    drivers/md/md.c | 3 -
    drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c | 5 --
    drivers/usb/core/devio.c | 6 --
    fs/dlm/lockspace.c | 2
    fs/gfs2/locking/dlm/sysfs.c | 2
    fs/gfs2/sys.c | 2
    fs/ocfs2/cluster/masklog.c | 3 -
    fs/partitions/check.c | 12 +++--
    fs/sysfs/dir.c | 6 ++
    include/linux/kobject.h | 46 +---------------------
    net/bridge/br_sysfs_br.c | 2

      Last update: 2007-09-14 01:49    [W:0.020 / U:78.528 seconds]