SubjectRe: stripping down the kernel-parameters.txt file
Date
On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:44:29, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> in the end, there should be a nice, *short* reference for what i
> like to call "basic" kernel parms (defined by __setup() or
> early_param()), while anyone who wants to learn about any module-
> specific parms should then have to go look up the info for that
> given module, that's all.
>
> as a trivial starting point, this would involve nothing more than
> shifting current content around in kernel-parameters.txt, putting
> the basic stuff at the top, and the module-specific stuff after
> that. heck, that would even give module authors the chance to add
> a line or two of module description if they wanted. how does life
> get any better than that?

Well, maybe if modules could be used similarly to: "modprobe
my_module --help" to give a description of the available module
parameters. That information might be merged into modules from text
file(s) or vice-versa, but I can see it being significantly more
useful. Another mildly-useful feature would be to stick the basic
boot params and those for built-in modules into a little text file
which could optionally be embedded in the initramfs along with the
"less" binary, so that a "vmlinuz --help" could be made to work
usefully from your bootloader.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

  Last update: 2007-09-12 19:51    [W:0.044 / U:2.688 seconds]