    SubjectRe: Building a kernel-source RPM (not a kernel RPM)?
    On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 09:13 -0700, Dan Stromberg wrote:
    > I sent this to kernel newbies first, and while I got one response there,
    > it answered a different question than the one I was asking...

    Are you sure?

    > I'm on a SuSE system.
    >
    > I'm working on automating the install of said system, but it needs a
    > Linus kernel - 2.6.21.7 specifically, and it needs kernel source too so
    > that we can build modules in the field as needed.

    Find a kernel-source.*.src.rpm or kernel-*.src.rpm or whatever SuSE uses
    for
    nameing convention and reverse engineer the .spec file.
    Fedora BTW abandoned kernel-source* and they have now a website with a
    description
    how to produce a configured kernel source tree (e.g. for out-of-tree
    modules).

    > I see you can make an rpm of a bootable kernel with "make rpm".

    Well, then there must be a .spec file somewhere which just wants to be
    extended.

    > Is there a streamlined way of building a corresponding kernel-source
    > RPM? Or do people pretty much all just dump the source in /usr/src, and

    Yes, you put all the steps you do by hand into the .spec file. That's
    it.

    > manually update symlinks as needed? If the latter, what symlinks need
    > to be updated?

    Actually nowadays usually there no "sym-link updating" anymore necessary
    -
    just put the correct ones in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ and the full name
    in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst.

    Bernd
    --
    Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
    mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55