SubjectRe: Platform device id
From

Hi Henrique,

On 9/10/2007, "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
>On Sat, 08 Sep 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
>> * Detection could be moved to user-space entirely, then we would only
>> need a way to instantiate these specific devices from user-space. This
>> exists in other areas (scsi, network) for quite some times already so
>> it shouldn't be too difficult.
>
>Don't like that one, sorry. Detection often needs the kind of access to
>hardware that is better off contained in the kernel.

Yes, good point.

>(...)
>I will see what I can do about breaking it up in various modules. But this
>can be unoptimal. If I took it too seriously, thinkpad-acpi would break into
>at least five different modules, if not more, and at least one or two
>modules would need to be there for the common code. There has to be a
>middle ground somewhere, I think.

I don't know your code and I don't really have the time to look at it
in depth, but I'm a bit surprised. Presumably your driver is
implementing a number of interfaces (e.g. hwmon) and you create a class
device for each one. You can have as many class devices hanging of a
(physical) device, so I fail to see why you would need to register
several (physical) devices.

--
Jean Delvare