    SubjectRe: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)
    On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:00:17PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > > OTOH, I'm not sure how much buy-in there was from the filesystems guys.
    > > > Particularly Christoph H and XFS (which is strange because they already
    > > > do vmapping in places).
    > >
    > > I think they use vmapping because they have to, not because they want
    > > to. They might be a lot happier with fsblock if it used contiguous pages
    > > for large blocks whenever possible - I don't know for sure. The metadata
    > > accessors they might be unhappy with because it's inconvenient but as
    > > Christoph Hellwig pointed out at VM/FS, the filesystems who really care
    > > will convert.
    > Sure, they would rather not to. But there are also a lot of ways you can
    > improve vmap more than what XFS does (or probably what darwin does)
    > (more persistence for cached objects, and batched invalidates for example).

    XFS already has persistence across the object life time (which can be many
    tens of seconds for a frequently used buffer) and it also does batched
    unmapping of objects as well.

    > There are also a lot of trivial things you can do to make a lot of those
    > accesses not require vmaps (and less trivial things, but even such things
    > as binary searches over multiple pages should be quite possible with a bit
    > of logic).

    Yes, we already do the many of these things (via xfs_buf_offset()), but
    that is not good enough for something like a memcpy that spans multiple
    pages in a large block (think btree block compaction, splits and recombines).

    IOWs, we already play these vmap harm-minimisation games in the places
    where we can, but still the overhead is high and something we'd prefer
    to be able to avoid.

    Dave Chinner
    Principal Engineer
    SGI Australian Software Group

      Last update: 2007-09-12 03:53    [W:0.022 / U:10.172 seconds]