    Subject2.6.23-rc6: hanging ext3 dbench tests
    I have a couple of failed test runs against 2.6.23-rc6 where the
    job timed out while running dbench over ext3. Both on powerpc,
    though both significantly different hardware setups. A failed
    run like this implies that the machine was still responsive to
    other processes but the dbench was making no progress. There is
    no console diagnostics during the failure.

    beavis was lost during a plain ext3 dbench run, having just
    successfully run a complete ext2 run. elm3b19 was lost during an
    ext3 "data=writeback" dbench run, having already completed an plain
    ext2, and ext3 runs.

    A quick poke at the dbench logs on the second machine shows this
    for the working ext3 dbench run:

    4 clients started
    4 35288 814.49 MB/sec
    0 62477 822.99 MB/sec
    Throughput 822.954 MB/sec 4 procs

    Whereas the hanging run shows the following continuing until the
    machine is reset, which confirms that the machine as a whole was
    still with us:

    4 clients started
    4 36479 824.92 MB/sec
    1 46857 519.98 MB/sec
    1 46857 346.65 MB/sec
    1 46857 259.99 MB/sec
    1 46857 207.99 MB/sec
    1 46857 173.32 MB/sec
    1 46857 148.56 MB/sec
    1 46857 129.99 MB/sec
    1 46857 115.55 MB/sec
    1 46857 103.99 MB/sec
    1 46857 94.54 MB/sec
    1 46857 86.66 MB/sec
    1 46857 80.00 MB/sec
    [...]

    The first machine is very similar:

    4 clients started
    4 18468 445.29 MB/sec
    4 41945 469.36 MB/sec
    1 46857 346.68 MB/sec
    1 46857 260.00 MB/sec
    1 46857 208.00 MB/sec
    [...]

    Not sure if there is any significance to the 46857. Though it feels
    like we may be at the end of the run when it fails.

    I will try and reproduce this on one of the machines and see if I
    can get any further info.

    -apw

      Last update: 2007-09-11 14:45    [W:0.020 / U:30.364 seconds]